20060518

Introductions

Josam took a moment amid the teaming shanty market and closed his eyes. He allowed his other senses to take in the sensations of being out from under the hive again. The heat from the hive factories created an ever present breeze coming off the wastes, and today it was almost refreshing. The breeze and the sensation of empty space all around brought a calmness he could almost taste.

As he opened his eyes he realized that Urartu and the rest of his fellow nomads didn’t bother to wait for him. They had moved across the market and were negotiating with a local weapons dealer who had several firearms on display. Of particular interest to the group was a heavy machine gun.

“Your prices are insane!” Urartu spewed, his voicing carrying over the crowed. No one cared. Such outbursts were common place on market days. “Come on. This piece of Goliath slag can’t be worth more than 80 credits.”

“I can see that you have an eye for quality my friend,” the obviously over weight guilder said, his breathing labored beneath his respirator. “Now here is a fine specimen. Quality such as only House Van Saar can produce. This little toy can sustain 600 rounds per minute, ammunition is contained in interchangeable magazines containing 200 rounds each, no need to maintain those clumsy ammunition belts – ideal for the conditions you and your fellows deal with here in the wastes. The barrel is air cooled and of the highest quality, an integral bipod for a stable firing platform, and a mount for any number of optical sights – for a slightly higher fee of course. I will even throw in this harness for ease of movement.”

Josam could see that the guilder was pushing as hard as he might to get Urartu to bite. Ishik whispered something in the leader’s ear, and the negotiations began in earnest.

“Hello again my sniper friend.” Josam turned and saw the slim guilder who sold him his visor not three day cycles ago. “I trust your little… endeavor was profitable.”

“We were moderately successful, yes. And have you passed along my message to your ‘friends’, that they have recruited themselves a sniper?”

“Of course, of course, come along and we can meet them now if you wish.”

Josam looked back towards Urartu, “in a minute. I’ll meet you at your stall in fifteen minutes.” Glancing back to the guilder to make eye contact, he moved to meet up with his compatriots.

“Now who is offering up pieces of slag in trade?” The guilder said looking over Ishik’s lasgun. “Twelve credits, not a pinch more.”

“Done,“ Urartu replied reaching down and picking up the Van Saar heavy stubber. Ishik reached under his trench coat and produced the group’s money pouch. “Shuvah, pick up that ammo crate.”

“Hey Boss, I need to see a man about some archeo. Can you spare me for a time?”

Urartu turned and looked Josam in the eyes. Glancing down at his chest Urartu thought for a moment. “Very well, we’ll be around till the next shift cycle. If you you’re not back by then, we’ll be at the old stompin’ grounds.”

“I’ll meet you there then.” And with that Josam turned to leave. As the other Nomads moved off Urartu called after him.

“Forgot something, wait up,” He called after him. “You’re not getting any ideas of leaving the ‘Soldiers’, are you?”

Josam turned around. “No boss. I just want to take care of some personal business. When I was half dead out there, you took me in, I’m not going to strike out on my own, at least not without telling you first. I’ll see you in a day cycle or two.”

“Keep your head down and your eyes open Josam.”

Without turning to look back Josam replied, “will do boss.”

The rest of the way to the guilder’s stall Josam focused his thoughts on the next few hours. Since Urartu took him in the nomads had been his constant companions. Even though that was the reason he had set out from Sulfur Falls, it felt good to be among the shanties again. Even so, the nomads had given him a sense of purpose, a part of a family. When Urartu had entrusted him to be his clan’s sniper he had swelled with pride. In a sense Urartu was saying that he trusted him to watch his new family’s back, and he had never let them down. So what was he doing now?

‘Those who follow me are my brothers and sister.’

Josam slowed his pace and looked around. There was no one near him. No one was even looking in his direction. ‘But Urartu has been like a father to me,’ Josam replied to himself.

‘Once you have entered into my family I will never forsake you.’

‘Who… or what, are you?’

‘I am the one who knows you better than you know yourself.’

Josam grunted to himself. ‘I can’t believe I am having a conversation with myself.’


As he approached the guilder’s small tent he paused, looked around as if to see if anyone else had heard the conversation, shook his head and stepped inside.

“Sniper, this is Dirke of house Van Saar,” the Guilder said as Josam’s visor quickly adjusted to the new light levels within the tent. The man that the guilder had introduced him to stood a hand taller then him, carried a bolt pistol upon his left hip and a hefty war hammer hanging from his right. He was obviously a hive dweller as he sported a thick patch of hair on his chin and around his mouth. Instead of a respirator he wore a set of nose plugs connected to a canister on his back. Ignoring the man’s extended hand Josam met his eyes and nodded a greeting.

“The name’s Josam. I am from house Catallus,” Josam paused for this to sink in, and the man slowly lowered his hand never disengaging his eyes. “The guilder here…”

“Since we are introducing one another, I am Guilder Zendo,” the slim man interrupted.

“Zendo here tells me you are searching for the services of a sniper.”

“Indeed I am. My team has been sent to hunt down and eliminate, by any means necessary, a certain Delaque spy that goes by the name of Urai. He has been known to haunt the fringes of the hive alongside the exterior walls. As such it is difficult to approach his gang’s known haunts, and we have been tasked for stealth. Zendo here tells me you are known for your ability to reach out and touch people with that long rifle of yours.”

Josam glanced at the guilder who allowed a brief grin crease his face. “He’s too kind, but I can indeed take care of this issue for you. Zendo tells me my pay is to be some tech.”

“Has he?” It was now Dirke’s turn to glance at the guilder. Well, we can meet that; however, I first want to see you in action. If your skills match your reputation, then we can work out the specifics.”

There was something that struck Josam wrong about that last sentence. Too much left to interpretation. And not from his point of view either. “Well, you won’t be disappointed.” Josam re-engaged the man’s eyes. ‘And you best not cross me, lest my crosshairs seek you out.’

No comments: