20070211

Working Man

“It’s time you started earning your keep kid.”

For a moment Ian just stared at Dyrke, his gang’s leader. Just two days earlier he had quite possibly saved the life of a fellow team member, what more could possibly be expected of him?

“I need you to go upstairs and collect our cut from Chigger, the owner of the Bifrost.”

“But… I’m barely out of the trials… and I need to keep an eye on Rogers.” Ian replied.

“You need to do what I tell you to do kid. You’ve passed the trials and you’re a full member of this team now. I appreciate your kissing Roger’s boo-boo but if you don’t get a move on before I shove a boot up your fore-quarter contact I’ll get me someone who’ll follow orders and you’ll be back out on the streets. You get me?”

Ian nodded his head, picked up his kit bag, and rushed pass Dyrke who was still standing in the doorway of his room. He had not intended to come across so insubordinate. It was just that he was still trying to gauge his place within the gang and collecting of protection money from the Bifrost definitely felt above his station. He had not even seen combat with the team yet. Well, not counting the retreat from the hive wall a couple days back. But that would come, he was sure of that.

“Hey kid!”

Ian turned around to see Rogers walking up the passageway towards him.

“You should still be resting. That was no carrion bat sting.”

“I’m alright… now. I just wanted to thank you. I want you to have this.” In Rogers’ outstretched hand he held a lasgun by the barrel.

Ian’s eyes widened. This is no clumsy shotgun or autogun. This was tech, and he preferred tech. “I… I couldn’t… that’s your rifle. I’ll earn my own.”

“That’s just it kid,” a second voice came from behind Rogers. It was Dyrke. “You have earned it. Rogers here has been thinking about swapping out his weapons for some time anyway.

“And I wanted to thank you for patching me up,” Rogers added.

Ian accepted the offered weapon. Emotions ran rampant, but pride was the most predominant. Looking back up to Rogers, “I don’t know what to say. Thanks.”

“No kid, thank you for patching me up.”

“You need to change uniforms too.” Dyrke tossed a blue, grey, and black pixeled bodysuit past Rogers at Ian. “Now you best get a move on before my boot catches up with you!”

Ian couldn’t help but smile as he turned. He stuffed the bodysuit into his kitbag, and slung his new lasgun over his shoulder. He felt like he belonged now.

-=-=-=O=-=-=-

The Bifrost was quiet. At least quieter than the last time he had been here. There was no band playing in the back and the video monitors were black. The patrons that were there barely looked up from their drinks or conversations. Walking up to the bar Ian called out, “Barkeep! Where can I find Chiggers?”

A bald head with dark goggles popped up from behind the bar. The man wore a vest akin to what House Orlock might wear and a Van Saar cybernetic hand held a hefty stub gun. Dropping the pistol heavily on top of the bar he leaned forward.

“What do you want?” The man was more articulate than Ian anticipated.

“Dyrke sent me to see Chigger. I need to make a collection.”

“You‘re not sporting Dyrke’s colors, and I’ve not seen you around here before.”

“Are you going to take me to see the man or not?” Ian was beginning to get irritated.

“I cannot just take anyone to see the man. Prove to me you speak for Dyrke and his team and I will take you to see Chigger personally.”

Ian pulled out the new bodysuit and held it up. “Are you satisfied?”

The bartender was about to argue some more when he caught sight of Dyrke standing in the shadows behind Ian. Dyrke just nodded and the man’s resistance faded.

“Alright kid, follow me.”

The barkeep led Ian up a small spiral staircase behind the bar which led to a trapdoor. Beyond the door was small office with windows that held a commanding view of the bridge’s ‘common area’. The furnishings were sparse but business like. A small desk with a data terminal (inferior Delaque design Ian thought to himself), a bookcase filled mostly with odds and ends, and a small safe, but no one else but the two of them.

“Where’s Chigger?” Ian demanded.

“You’re looking at him kid. Wait right there.” Chigger stepped around the desk, and knelt next to the small safe. Once he was sure he sufficiently blocked Ian’s view he turned the dial. With a creak the small hefty door opened up. Chigger pulled out a small bag and shut the door.

Tossing the bag across the desk Chigger said, “Here you go kid. It was a pretty decent week, but you need to let Dyrke know. The Black Cats have been making noise again. Fushia’s telling me she can take better care of the trash.”

Ian turned to leave. “Thanks Chigger, I’ll let him know. Wait… what do you mean?”

“I mean that the Black Cats are telling me that they are looking to make a change around here, and you and Dyrke’s boys are standing in their way. You get me?”

Ian nodded and then left the room. His mind was deep in thought about what Chigger had told him when he bumped into a woman as they both crossed the floor, an amazing feat considering the sparse clientele present.

“Watch where you’re going!”

Ian stepped back. He recognized the woman from somewhere. She was almost a full two meters tall and wore a ponytail tied tight that swept up and back – dyed a deep green. Her eyes glared and her face was taut. She didn’t look like she wanted to chat.

“It’s a big room. You should have been more careful.”

The woman snarled and moved her right foot back and out while reaching for the pommels of two very fine looking swords over her shoulders. Although neither ganger noticed, the conversation in the room ceased as all attention was drawn to the pair.

“Not in here you don’t Jade!” Chigger said as he entered the room, and emphasized his point by chambering a round in his shotgun.

“Easy Chigger, I was just going to teach this boy some manners.”

The woman splayed her fingers wide to demonstrate she was standing down. She slowly lowered her arms and began to move across the floor once more. As she did so she intentionally drew close to Ian and whispered only loud enough for him to hear.

“Your time is drawing to a close around here Van Saar. Scurry on your way now.”

Ian stood his ground so that she could not help but bump into his shoulder as she passed. He did not move. Not even to watch the tall woman leave the Bifrost. His heart was pounding in his chest, and he could feel his hands beginning to sweat. Glancing down at his hands he headed on out. He wanted to get back to Dyrke and report this. It looked like the Black Cats were taking aim at their territory.

No comments: